BRILLIANTISM: SANTOGOLD

7.30.2008

SANTOGOLD

Olive oil ice cream.





Monday night, after my mom picked me up from work, we ate a great meal at Nopa, the local vaulted ceiling-ed, packed-every-night, gourmet-but-not-ridiculously-expensive eatery that has, among other things, helped name the area I live. The whole meal was good, but dessert deserved a trophy: olive oil ice cream.

It's what it sounds like: creamy, slightly sweetened ice cream splashed with marionberry sauce, olive oil, salt, and some fruit. It takes a bite to familiarize the tongue to savory ice cream. Then you're in.

I haven't made ice cream since I was 13, but I did make a super-duper chicken dish last night. Here's the recipe as I remember it from the Learn To Cook Everything book:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
1/2 tablespoon cumin
Salt and pepper to taste

Set oven to broil and move the oven rack to closest to the heat coils (highest level). Rub chicken breasts with the olive oil. Combine honey, OJ, cumin, and dashes of salt and pepper. Stir into a thick liquid, so that honey combines with the juice. With a brush, apply to chicken. Broil chicken for three to four minutes. Remove from the oven, flip the breasts, and brush the glaze onto the other side. Cook three more minutes, flip again, and repeat once more. Try to use all the glaze. The chicken cooks quick on broil, and the glaze keeps it moist. I spooned the oil and excess glaze onto the chicken when they were done, to maximize the flavor.

I combined with a simple spinach salad.

Boo-yeah.




1 comment:

  1. Wait, just so I´ve got this right, you rub the breasts with oil and THEN repeatedly flip them? My god! What the hell is this recipe rated?

    ReplyDelete

Say something grand...