BRILLIANTISM: JEFF BUCKLEY

6.27.2008

JEFF BUCKLEY




This last week bubbled up from a strange geyser. That means it's been weird. Last Friday I bought two peaches and a pluot, but never got to eat them, even after a friend gushed about how good his peach was. This was after neurotically returning to my office at 8 pm on a Friday, sure that I'd left the office-kitchette sink on (I maintain I did). I went to Treasure Island at midnight. It was 90 degrees, even then.

I proceeded to "house sit," sort of. My parents are in Spain. The idea of having the house I grew up in all to myself for a week seemed very unassuming at first. Turns out it's the most fun in the world. I set up recording equipment in the basement and sang my head off. I stashed NY Times Magazines in every room to plop down and read whenever. I loafed around. I watched parts or all of Pan's Labyrinth, Ocean's 13, Night At The Museum, The Black Dahlia, Miami Vice, and much of the second season of The Wire. Ratings in order: A+, C, B-, F, B, A.

I casual-carpooled to work. I talked to a homeless man who was the youngest of 21 children. I ate an angelcot, which is a white apricot. I finished next months Outstanding Conditions EP, shipped it to be mixed, and now I'm staying the weekend on the water in Redondo Beach. Turns out dolphins look a lot like sharks until they leap out of the water and blow your mind.


1 comment:

  1. Top 5? I'm not sure about that. Top 10, maybe.

    ReplyDelete

Say something grand...