BRILLIANTISM: GREAT SENTENCE

8.02.2009

GREAT SENTENCE

I planned an insanely awesome dinner, anyway, but tonight's homespun meal was accented by a passionate Michael Pollan sermon. Pollan attacked cooking shows for keeping us on the couch and out of the kitchen. He starts slow, making some yawning points about how Julia Child managed a subtle yet faceted societal upheaval, and about how Guy Fiero is fat. Pollan gets pointed three quarters through, when he points out the following:

"Freed from the need to spend our days gathering large quantities of raw food and then chewing (and chewing) it, humans could now devote their time, and their metabolic resources, to other purposes, like creating a culture."
I think the cooking/culture analogy is apt. My mom asked me why I like to cook: I said it's like writing a song. You put a bunch of shit together, experimenting with flavors and orders and lengths of time and presentation. The you enjoy the finished product a little more than normal, because you can call it your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something grand...