BRILLIANTISM: WILCO

11.08.2007

WILCO

This San Francisco moment is brought to you exclusively by Wilco and Volkswagen.





My roommate asked me Monday night: "Who is your favorite band of all time?" I didn't know. I don't know. It's a tough question to be completely prepared for, though I always respect people who are completely prepared for it. I am not one of those people. I'm not sure I could be one of those people.

There's too much music. Do all bands need to live up to a single other band? Not for me. Music should live up to itself.

I have the same problem with deciphering my favorite songs, albums, or artists of the year. If you ask me, you'll probably think to yourself: What is this guy's problem? Did I just break him?

Here's what will happen: I'll appear exasperated for a second, then make a joke and an excuse (not necessarily in that order), then I'll think of a song, album, or artist off the top of my head, then I'll second guess myself and think of five more songs/albums/artists, then I'll make another joke/excuse/both, then I'll pull out my iPhone and just start reading off bands, at which point no one will be listening, then I'll send you an email, claiming "it helps me better organize my thoughts," and, finally, sort of, I'll bring up and amend the email the next time I see you in person, if you're ever willing to see me again.

Surely, BRLMP3S helps me stay (more) organized. Case in point: Wilco's Sky Blue Sky album, released last May, will remain one of my favorite records of the year. Now then: allow me to memorialize it.

As singles go, "Impossible Germany," the first single from Sky, seemed, perhaps, more hypnotic than most people thought post-Yankee Hotel Foxtrot-Wilco was capable of. It's six minutes long, but essential all the way through. It's like a guitar-player's dream dance. The strangely doubled intro, the crazy solo, the instrumental bridge—all minor testaments to the size of the map that accommodates the mind and voice of Jeff Tweedy.

Mr. Tweedy is, among other things, a lyrical hero. He's in great form throughout Sky, possibly stronger than ever, though I'll never stop marinating in Yankee-era lyrics like: "Take off your Band Aid/ 'cause I don't believe in touchdowns" (From "I Am Trying To Break Your Heart"; solo/acoustic BRLMP3 below).

Mr. Tweedy is beautiful with Dada-ist association, but capable of much, much more. "Impossible Germany" seems to deal with the quiet exasperation of the past becoming the present, and for the life of me, I can't think of a more interesting rumination on the question of "how did we get here?" than Mr. Tweedy singing the following:

Impossible Germany
Unlikely Japan
But this is what love is for
To be out of place
Gorgeous and alone
Face to face

(Read all the lyrics HERE)

Seeing Wilco perform at the Greek Theater in Berkeley calcified Sky Blue Sky into something permanent for me. Live, the band really cooks. Hilariously, when guest guitarist Nels Cline (he plays on all of Sky) launched into the first solo of the show, his noise-shower made my dad turn to me and crinkle his face: he didn't care for Mr. Cline's histrionics. A few songs later, with their rendition of the Track-One-Of-The-Year "Either Way" (BRLMP3 below), I think everyone (especially my dad) was physically surprised by the power, tone, and complexity of Mr. Cline's contributions. (By show's end, my dad took back his criticism.) Wilco's performance was flawless.

There's one other situation I've enjoyed Wilco this year: in Volkswagen advertisements. "Either Way" popped up in a surprisingly bizarre ad for the VW Bug, where a scruffy dude steals an unlocked Bug by a park, but returns it after seeing so much love in the world (well, in the car in the world). Apparently six songs from Sky will be featured in VW TV spots, which is a huge deal for the band, which defended itself eloquently against their anti-corporate fans, explaining how the money and exposure would help Wilco's offspring go to college. I yawned and Youtubed the rest of the ads, all of which are a little peculiar and a little bit better for having great Wilco songs in them. I'm not going to go out and by a Rabbit; who are these huge demographics that respond to car advertisers? I will, however, enjoy the time it takes to get from Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) looking appalled to Jack Donaghy (Alec Baldwin) helping her deal with it a little more. That time called "the commercial break" and it's my least favorite part of the show 30 Rock, made infinitesimally better for seeing what great songs sound like when applied to multi-gazillion dollar ad campaigns.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something grand...