BRILLIANTISM: CHICK COREA

1.17.2007

CHICK COREA



This photo can be found here.


About 22 hours ago, I sat in my room working on my movie. My experience with ideas has me understanding that ideas are uncontrollable, which is to say I don’t remember when or why or where I decided to start thinking about this random batch of ideas as a movie. I think it just happened. Last night, however, I do remember that I started thinking about my movie while I was making a really late dinner and listening to the singular, progressive jazz pianist, Chick Corea. I was cooking up some fried matzo, no kidding. Literally, I was just using a spatula, when all of a sudden strange strands of dialogue start bleeding out of my mind and into the antechamber of my brain-space. I don’t recognize it at first and think to myself, do I even need dialogue for anything? Then I remembered: the movie.

My movie is about a woman named George who has three productive, happy, and functionally unique personalities with three separate, successful careers, tastes, and styles. Two of these personalities fall for a cameraman named Dizzy, who works for a team of doctors following Geo around all the time documenting her unusual condition. (Most of the characters come to call her Geo.) I’m calling the movie The Origamist, because the only tendency the personalities share is a passion for (and skill with) manipulating paper.

So, here I am, deep inside what was tomorrow night just yesterday. The space of a day allowed me a chance to parse the dialogue I trotted out last night. Through the misty looking glass of retrospect, I've decided on and posted my favorite bit: This dialogue occurs as one of Geo’s personalities sits on a park bench folding paper. She is confronted with three children in Halloween costumes who come play in the park all the time and are familiar with one of her other personalities sitting on the same bench and folding the same paper the same way.

Below the dialogue is a great song Chick Corea performed called, “Toy Room”—a title that perfectly describes the feeling of unexpected late night inspiration.

DIALOGUE FROM THE ORIGAMIST, A WORK IN PROCESS, RATHER, PROGRESS.


COWBOY: I reckon you owe me a swan.

INDIAN CHIEF: ...And me a leaping frog.

ALIEN: You assured me of a spacecraft.

GEO: Excuse me?

COWBOY: Get foldin’ bandito! Or else I’ll shoot ya!

INDIAN CHIEF: I’ll scalp you.

ALIEN: I’ll abduct you.

GEO: Do I know you guys?

COWBOY: Of course you do.

INDIAN: It’s us.

GEO: It’s you?

COWBOY: You betcha! Now git to it you varmint!

GEO: (Playing along) Take it easy there, Butch Cassidy, or you ain’t gettin’ nothin’.

COWBOY: I’m not Butch Cassidy.

GEO: Oh really? Then who are you?

COWBOY: (Removes hat, whispering) It’s just me.

GEO: That’s probably true.

ALIEN: I’m an alien.

GEO: I can see that.

ALIEN: You can?

GEO: I think so.

------------------------------------------------------



Click the song title to download “Toy Room” by Chick Corea.


Chick Corea's WEBSITE.
Chick Corea on PUREVOLUME.
Chick Corea on YOUTUBE.
Chick Corea on LAST.FM.
Chick Corea on ALL MUSIC.
Chick Corea on WIKIPEDIA.
Chick Corea on WIKIQUOTE
Chick Corea on AMAZON.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say something grand...